Monday, February 8, 2010

Whew.

This past weekend my sister Erika and I took a little jaunt to New Hampshire to visit my sister Andrea and her cute family.

I say this as if I am a jet setter and love to fly and that this was no big deal. It kindof was a big deal. Have you seen Meg Ryan in "French Kiss"? I am pretty much just like her in the airplane but my hair is longer and I am not quite as petite. When I was planning this a couple months ago and told my friend that I may make Justin buy a ticket to fly out with me and then another ticket to pick me up. My friend told me that they may not be able to be my friend anymore if I did that because it was utterly ridiculous. So I asked my adventurous sister if she would accompany me with the caveat that I am a complete freak when I am flying. Amazingly, she agreed.

I have never been east of Wisconsin. I had a couple opportunities to go over the years and because of multiple factors, mostly because of finances and my intense fear of stepping into a bus that is bouncing around in the air with the slim chance that I would be alive when it plummetts to the ground and the only tips they give you in the manual is to brace your head between your knees and hold onto the seat in front of you...it is truly amazing that I got on the flight at all on Thursday.

I am so very happy that I went. Yes, I was anxious the entire time in the air but once I touched down on good old terra firma, I was glad that I decided to go.

First of all, I got to see my adorable neices Olive and Caroline(she is demonstrating her pirate face):




Got to go to Maine. I never in my entire life thought I would go to Maine. It was exquisite. We saw an adorable lighthouse and ate at the most delightful restaurant that I highly recommend if you are ever in the area. All the food was amazing-I ordered a crab and avacado melt (I know there is some drooling going on) and for desert we shared a blueberry crumble. I also saw the Atlantic Ocean which was super exciting for me. I now want to take a trip with Justin along the coast of Maine and see all of the lighthouses. Did you know that the coastline of Maine is longer than the coastline of California and that their main exports are blueberries and toothpicks?







Got to go to Boston. I loved Boston, too. I love the feeling of the rich history oozing out of every corner. We weren't there very long but we saw some fun things and beautiful architecture. We only got lost once and thanks to a good friend via phone from Utah and some great navigational skills by Erika, we got to our destination. Harvard. Holy cow, it was beautiful. One of the things that I was first amazed by was this little cemetary on the corner that everyone was walking by and didn't give it a second glance, probably because they have seen it a million times before. We weren't able to stop and see it, but I wonder how old it was and who is buried there. Anywho, here are some photos from Harvard:







We saw MIT, a quaint little street when we were lost one time, Cheers, and Fenway Park:







I also loved hanging out and catching up with my sister and her hubby, seeing the beautiful granite along the highway with the ice that was on the side that looked like little waterfalls, no billboards along the highways of New Hampshire but just trees, hearing Caroline's little comments (two of my favorites were when she woke up from a nap and when we asked her what she dreampt about she replied: "Butterflies and flowers" and when Erika slammed on the brakes she exclaimed "Bouncy! Bouncy!"), cuddling and quieting my new neice, dancing, reading stories, and playing stickers and tea party with Caroline, watching favorite movies, and being there for Olive's blessing.




I also loved learning how to play Gin Rummy on the plane to help pass the time and for Erika's support and dry humor as I was freaking out. She is the type of person you want with you if you are a freak like me or if you want to be on Amazing Race. Justin was also amazing with the boys while I was gone and was very supportive of me going. He even got projects done around the house which was so nice to come home to! Thank you Andrea and Adam for your hospitality and I can't wait to come again! I love you!

5 comments:

The Beckstroms said...

We LOVED having you!!! Come again soon, even if you have to drive...haha. So glad you could get on the plane and come, it meant more than you'll ever know to me. Caroline enjoyed you guys so much. Thanks for such a refreshing and fun visit. Can't wait to visit you guys in UTAH! Love the post of course, let's go to Maine again soon! Love you lots and lots!

The Winegar's said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful time and saw quite a bit in the short time you were there. I'm so glad that you got to go and see the Beckstroms and the East. You will just have to travel via plane more so you can get used to flying and maybe the spaziness will go away.

bostonshumways said...

Oh Corinne! I'm so happy you made it out here, just sad I didn't get to see you! It sounds like you were pretty busy packing a lot of stuff in.

It's so cool to read how a newcomer views boston. It made me appreciate it a little more, it is a cool place....it's just not too lovable this time of year.

Next time, come in the Fall, and stay with us! I would love to see you.

Unknown said...

I guess for Adam and Andrea, I will try to understand why you would want to go any where east of Wisconsin. The world drops off after Lake Michigan.

Jer + Lu said...

What an awesome vacation! So glad you got to go. Who knew you were such a flying freak?! jk. Looks lovely back there. Take me with you next time!